Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Most Useful SCOM Article on the Web Just Got an Update!

As anyone who's ever worked with SCOM will know, it's a fairly heavy and complex product to get your head around at first and the larger the environment to be monitored, the more administration and troubleshooting tasks you'll need to teach yourself.


Way back when I started working with SCOM, I quickly found myself lost in a myriad of blog posts and TechNet articles searching for help on how to extract information from the SQL databases to help me better understand the problems I was experiencing.

The one thing that kept coming up trumps for me in my searches time and time again was Kevin Holman's 'Useful Operations Manager 2007 SQL Queries' post. This post brought together a virtual treasure chest of SQL queries that the 'non-SQL admin' like me could easily copy and paste into my SQL Management Studio window for instant information or configuration changes in my customers SCOM environments.

It was probably the first SCOM reference on the web that I saved as a favourite into my web browser and was always a location that I'd tell new SCOM admins to go check out and bookmark.

As the title of Kevin's post suggests, it was originally put together nine years ago as a central repository of SQL queries for SCOM 2007. When System Center 2012 and ultimately 2016 came around, these queries still worked with the newer releases of SCOM but there was often some confusion from people trying to understand if they only worked with SCOM 2007.

So to address this, just recently Kevin took the time to archive his original 2007-named post and create a new one titled simply 'SCOM SQL Queries'.


Not only has he renamed the post but he has also formatted it in a way that all queries are now much easier to read from and copy/paste as required.

Check out the new location for what is most likely, the most useful SCOM article on the web here:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2016/11/11/scom-sql-queries/


No comments:

Post a Comment